Dr. Tanya Petraszko
Senior Medical Director
Medical, Laboratory and Stem Cell Services
1. Review the indications for and benefits of HLA selected platelets.
2. Discuss the different ways that platelets can be selected for HLA sensitized patients.
3. Learn how to properly order and manage these products to optimize patient impact.
4. Briefly discuss the role of HPA antigen matching in alloimmunized patients.
1. Finding platelets: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Brunker PAR, Pattanayak V, Mahowald GK. Transfusion. 2021 Aug;61(8):2223-2228. doi: 10.1111/trf.16586. PMID: 34365668
2. How do I … manage the platelet transfusion-refractory patient? Juskewitch JE, Norgan AP, De Goey SR, Duellman PM, Wakefield LL, Gandhi MJ, Stubbs JR, Kreuter JD. Transfusion. 2017 Dec;57(12):2828-2835. doi: 10.1111/trf.14316. Epub 2017 Sep 28. PMID: 28960321
Note: The session is a self-approved group learning activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
To register for the LearnTransfusion series, send an email to email@example.com with “Weekly Transfusion Medicine Seminars” in the subject line. Include your name and complete e-mail address in the body of the e-mail, and confirm that you would like to register for the LearnTransfusion series. You will then receive weekly email notifications of upcoming series events with details on how to join the webinars (e.g., call-in number and a link to register for the webinar).
The LearnTransfusion series is the seminar component of the Areas of Focused Competency (AFC)-Diploma Program in Transfusion Medicine. The series, organized by Canadian Blood Services is also open to all practitioners in the field of Transfusion Medicine. Through a series of regular webinars, trainees and practitioners are exposed to various scientific, technical and clinical aspects of transfusion medicine.