Dr. Carolyne Elbaz
Adult Hematology, St. Mary's Hospital
Assistant Professor, McGill University
- Review the approach to inherited bleeding disorders
- Review the management of anticoagulant associated bleeding.
- An illustrated review of bleeding assessment tools and common coagulation tests. Elbaz C, Sholzberg M. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2020 Jul 6;4(5):761-773. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12339. eCollection 2020 Jul. PMID: 32685885 Free PMC article.
- ASH ISTH NHF WFH 2021 guidelines on the diagnosis of von Willebrand disease. James PD, Connell NT, Ameer B, Di Paola J, Eikenboom J, Giraud N, Haberichter S, Jacobs-Pratt V, Konkle B, McLintock C, McRae S, R Montgomery R, O'Donnell JS, Scappe N, Sidonio R, Flood VH, Husainat N, Kalot MA, Mustafa RA. Blood Adv. 2021 Jan 12;5(1):280-300. doi: 10.1182/bloodadvances.2020003265. PMID: 33570651 Free PMC article.
- Diagnosis of rare bleeding disorders. Meijer K, van Heerde W, Gomez K. Haemophilia. 2021 Feb;27 Suppl 3:60-65. doi: 10.1111/hae.14049. Epub 2020 Jun 23. PMID: 32578312 Review.
- Tranexamic acid evidence and controversies: An illustrated review. Relke N, Chornenki NLJ, Sholzberg M. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2021 Jul 14;5(5):e12546. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12546. eCollection 2021 Jul. PMID: 34278187 Free PMC article. Review.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding in women on oral anticoagulants. Samuelson Bannow BT, Chi V, Sochacki P, McCarty OJT, Baldwin MK, Edelman AB. Thromb Res. 2021 Jan;197:114-119. doi: 10.1016/j.thromres.2020.11.014. Epub 2020 Nov 13. PMID: 33212377 Free PMC article.
Note: The session is a self-approved group learning activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
To be added to the distribution list for the LearnTransfusion series, send an email to email@example.com with “Weekly Transfusion Medicine Seminars” in the subject line. Include your name and complete e-mail address in the body of the e-mail and confirm that you would like to be added to the distribution list for the LearnTransfusion series. You will then receive weekly email notifications of upcoming series events with details on how to join the webinars (e.g., link to register for the webinar).
The LearnTransfusion series is the seminar component of the Areas of Focused Competency (AFC)-Diploma Program in Transfusion Medicine. The series, organized by Canadian Blood Services, is also open to all practitioners in the field of Transfusion Medicine. Through a series of regular webinars, trainees and practitioners are exposed to various scientific, technical and clinical aspects of transfusion medicine.