The content on this page is specific for 2022-23 Transfusion Camp. Content for 2023-2024 will start being updated approximately one month ahead of the live event held in Toronto. See General Information Schedules and Locations document for live event dates.
Please get ready for Transfusion Camp by reading these publications (typically posted 1 month prior to the live event).
1. TTISS-ON Acute Transfusion Reaction Chart. 2020 Oct.
2. AABB. Quick Reference Guide: NHSN Hemovigilance Module; Adverse Reactions Definitions. 2021 MAR.
3. ORBCON, Bloody Easy 5: Blood Transfusions, Blood Alternatives and Transfusion Reactions. A Guide to Transfusion Medicine, Chapter 5 Transfusion Reactions, fifth Edition Handbook, 2022. p. 40-79
4. Bulle EB, Klanderman RB, Pendergrast J, Cserti-Gazdewich C, Callum J, Vlaar APJ. The recipe for TACO: A narrative review on the pathophysiology and potential mitigation strategies of transfusion-associated circulatory overload. Blood Rev. 2021 Oct 2:100891. doi: 10.1016/j.blre.2021.100891. PMID: 34627651.
5. Ackfeld T, Schmutz T, Guechi Y, Le Terrier C. Blood Transfusion Reactions—A Comprehensive Review of the Literature including a Swiss Perspective. J. Clin. Med. 2022, 11, 2859.
6. Rees DC, Robinson S, Howard J. How I manage red cell transfusion in patients with sickle cell disease. British Journal of Haematology, 2018; 180: 607-617.
7. Chou ST, Alsawas M, Fasano RM, Field JJ, Hendrickson JE, Howard J, Kameka M, Kwiatkowski JL, Pirenne F, Shi PA, Stowell SR, Thein SL, Westhoff CM, Wong TE, Akl EA, American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: transfusion support, Blood Advances, 4(2): 327-355.
1. Circular of Information
Slides of lectures are posted prior to the live event (typically posted 1 week prior but often the night before).
1. Canadian Blood Services/Héma-Québec Virtual Tour (Dr. Zeller/Dr. Latour)
2. Acute Non-Infectious Reactions (Dr. Christine Cserti-Gazdewich)
3. Informed Consent (Dr. Marissa Laureano)
4. Sickle Cell Disease - Perioperative and Acute Transfusion (Dr. Jacob Pendergrast)
Recordings of lectures are posted after the live event (typically posted within 2 weeks).
Transfusion Camp 2021-2022 Day 2 Complications: Compatibility, Acute & Long Term Transfusion Risks & Errors, summary highlights.
Answers for the seminars are posted after the last group of trainees has completed the Transfusion Camp day (this may take several months after the live event).
Review the Guide for Participating in Seminars prior to attending the seminars.
Seminar 2A: Transfusion Reactions
Seminar 2B: SCD & Transfusion
1. Delayed Non-infectious Reactions - Dr. Waseem Anani