The content on this page is specific for 2021-2022 Transfusion Camp. Content for 2022-2023 will start being updated approximately one month ahead of the live event held in Toronto. See General Information Schedules and Locations document for live event dates.
Note that breaks are included throughout the day. See General Information Program Brochure document for detailed agenda. Depending on your location, the event may provide refreshments and lunch. See General Information Schedules and Locations document for information.
Please get ready for Transfusion Camp by reading these publications (typically posted 1 month prior to the live event).
1. Arya S, Wilton P, Page D, Boma-Fischer L, Floris G, Winikoff R, Teitel J, Dainty K, Sholzberg M. “Everything was blood when it comes to me”: Understanding the lived experiences of women with inherited bleeding disorders. J Thromb Haemost. 2020;18:3211-3221.
2. Webb J, Delaney M. Red Blood Cell Alloimmunization in the Pregnant Patient. Transfus Med Rev. 2018 Jun;32:213-219.
3. Rydz A, James PD. Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Common Bleeding Disorders. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2012.
4. McCavit T, Desai P. Management of Acute Complications of Sickle Cell Disease: A Pocket Guide for the Clinician. Washington, DC: American Society of Hematology; 2014. 5p.
5. Pavord, S., Daru, J., Prasannan, N., Robinson, S., Stanworth, S., Girling, J., & BSH Committee (2020). UK guidelines on the management of iron deficiency in pregnancy. British journal of Heamatology, 188(6), 819-830.
6. Rees DC, Robinson S, Howard J. How I manage red cell transfusion in patients with sickle cell disease. British Journal of Haematology, 2018; 180: 607-617.
7. Chou ST, Alsawas M, Fasano RM, Field JJ, Hendrickson JE, Howard J, Kameka M, Kwiatkowski JL, Pirenne F, Shi PA, Stowell SR, Thein SL, Westhoff CM, Wong TE, Akl EA, American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: transfusion support, Blood Advances, 4(2): 327-355.
Slides of lectures are posted prior to the live event (typically posted 1 week prior but often the night before).
1. Alloimmunization & Anemia in Pregnancy (Dr. Nadine Shehata)
2. Bleeding Assessment & Approach to INR/PTT (Dr. Zachary Liederman)
3. Sickle Cell Disease (Dr. Jacob Pendergrast)
Recordings of lectures are posted after the live event (typically posted within 2 weeks). To view the lectures on YouTube, open the video and click on the playlist icon in the top right-hand corner to select your lecture of interest.
Transfusion Camp 2021-2022 Day 3 Special Transfusion Situations – Maternal, Perioperative Bleeding Assessment, Sickle Cell Disease summary highlights
Answers for the seminars are posted after the last group of trainees has completed the Transfusion Camp day (this may take several months after the live event).
Review the Guide for Participating in Seminars prior to attending the seminars.
Seminar 3A: Perioperative Bleeding Assessment
Seminar 3B: SCD & Transfusion