BloodTechNet educational resources
The BloodTechNet program was launched in 2011 to facilitate the development of innovative educational resources that support the Transfusion, Cellular Therapy and Transplantation communities in Canada. The program is led by Canadian Blood Services’ Centre for Innovation with financial support from Grifols. For information about the next BloodTechNet program competition, visit blood.ca research funding programs.
Projects currently underway
PID (Primary Immune Deficiency) Toolkit App (2017 competition)
Completed projects and resources
The Stem Cell Club: Educating Medical Students about Stem Cell Transplantation (2015 and 2016 competitions)
A club of national scope that trains medical students to advocate for patients in need of stem cell transplant, and to develop leadership and teamwork skills. We instruct them to secure informed consent and to identify and correct medical errors.
Warren Fingrut (left), Cassandra DeLuka of Canadian Blood Services’
OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Network (centre-right) along with two
UBC medical students at a "May the swab be with you" recruitment event in 2014.
(Photo courtesy of Warren Fingrut)
Snippets - Watch & Learn Job Aids (2014 competition)
Five minute interactive videos that offer front line providers and technologists with meaningful and current clinical knowledge related around the following seven areas :
- Patient identification when collecting pre-transfusion sample.
- Patient identification and transfusion pre-checks required prior to the administration of blood components or plasma protein products.
- Pre-transfusion testing including ABO grouping, Antiboby screening and crossmatching.
- Emergency blood administration.
- Transfusion reactions (respiratory complications related to transfusion).
- Post-production modification of blood components (washing and irradiation of red cell, platelet, and plasma units).
- Thawing frozen blood products.
The Transfusion Safety Nurse Clinician at BC Children’s and Women’s hospitals created three e-Learning Transfusion Practice Educational Modules around the following themes:
- Administration of blood products: Neonatal – Syringe method; Pediatric – Syringe and volumetric method; Adult – Volumetric method.
- Transport of blood products.
- Pre-transfusion sample collection.
To access the modules, go to the Learning Hub site, create an account or sign on as a guest, and search for the modules.
Transfusion Confusion: an inter-professional learning module (2014 competition)
Transfusion Confusion is a learning module developed to introduce concepts of pretransfusion testing and transfusion practice and to explore concepts of interprofessional collaboration. Delivered via the University of Alberta’s learning platform, this module focuses on the importance of patient identification, specimen suitability, and team issues such as communication, collaboration, role clarification and reflection. Currently, this course can only be accessed by University of Alberta students. However, the intent is to eventually provide access to members of the general public.
Transfusion Bits and Bytes (2011 competition)
Short videos intended for general Medical Laboratory Technologists working in Transfusion Medicine Services addressing the following themes:
- Transfusion Reaction Overview
- Acute Transfusion Reactions
- Case Studies of Acute Transfusion Reactions
- Delayed Transfusion Reaction and Case Studies
- Quality Management Systems
- Root Cause Analysis
Passing the Serology Torch (2011 competition)
A speaker-series of 11 presentations on serology targeted at Transfusion Medicine Medical Lab Technologists.
Transfusion Quest (2011 competition)
An online Trivia game for Transfusion Medicine Medical Lab Technologists.